Some of the disadvantages of classical mechanical indicators are:
- Complicated and time-consuming adaptation work for different loco types – thereby very expensive
- Accurate adaption to the existing environmental conditions is necessary
- Susceptible to measurement errors
- Uncomfortable display and evaluation possibilities
- Strongly limited system performance
In other words, valve setting of steam engines by means of mechanical indicators has long been outdated. Thanks to the digital measurement technology available today, it is possible to create a system which overcomes the weak points of the known, old system and also provides further diverse possibilities.